These are super tasty. I got the original recipe from my friend Nicola Johnson. This has been a “fail safe” recipe so to speak. Unless you, like Paula when she was 8, decide to use regular flour instead of self raising! Now that when you get rocks for sure.
I have other variations of Rusks (Health Rusks with nuts, seeds and raisins, will put the recipe up soon, it’s still at the typing pool)
- 500g butter or Margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1tea sp salt
- 500ml buttermilk
- 1.5kg self raising flour ( one and a half kgs)
- Combine self raising flour, sugar and salt.
- Melt butter and add buttermilk then add beaten eggs.
- Mix into dry ingredients and knead.
- Press into two large roasting tins bake 160 degrees about one hour. (I use my one large rusk pan and it makes 84.)
- Remove from oven and let cool completely
- Cut into fingers and return into oven straight onto the racks.
- Dry in a very low oven(100 degrees or so) for at least 2 hours. If you want them super dry, I guess you can dry them longer.