Ingredients (Makes approx. 2 Liters of soup)
- 2 medium butternuts
- 1 granny smith apple
- 2 medium onions
- 50grams butter/Margarine
- 2tsp curry powder
- 1/3 cup flour
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 750 ml (3 cups) Boiling water
- 500ml (2 cups) milk
- 1 tsp salt (or more or less to taste)
- Peel, seed and dice the butternuts
- Peel, core and chop the apple
- Peel onions and chop roughly
- In large saucepan, saute the chopped onions in butter
- Add the curry powder and fry the mixture lightly.
- Add the butternut and apple and saute the mixture for a while
- Add the flour and nutmeg and mix lightly
- Dissolve the chicken stock cubes in the boiling water.
- Add the stock, milk and salt to the butternut mixture
- Boil with the lid on, over moderate heat till the butternut pieces are soft
- Stir the mixture occasionally
- Puree or blend until smooth.
The colour of the soup should be a deep yellow and the texture creamy.
Serve the soup hot.
This soup freezes very well.